- Home Page
- Police Department
- School Resource Officers
School Resource Officers
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Henderson Police Department has partnered with Henderson Independent School District since 2010 to provide School Resource Officers. A SRO has a diverse role in the school and community and has many duties and responsibilities:
- School Resource Officers are sworn officers assigned to a school on a long-term basis trained to perform three major roles: law enforcement officer, law-related counselor, and law-related educator. In addition, the officer works in collaboration with the school and the community as a resource for safety and security issues.
- As a law enforcement officer, the school becomes the officer's patrol. The SRO assists the school administration in maintaining a safe and secure environment. School administrators benefit from the SRO's training, knowledge, and experience in handling situations. The SRO provides a highly visible presence to deter or identify trespassers on campus. In addition, SROs provide a service to the surrounding community by addressing concerns such as loitering, stop signs or speeding in school zones.
- SROs are responsible for investigating violations of criminal law. A SRO's sworn duty to enforce the law does not contradict the need for the SRO to be a positive role model, but rather supports it. It is essential for an SRO to endorse high moral standards and use good judgment and discretion. Through this, students learn and understand what a professional police officer does.
- It is important to note that SROs are not school disciplinarians. SROs are not involved in investigating school rule violations, such as a student cheating on a test. Violations of school rules are the responsibility of the principal and faculty.
In 2020, the use of a K9 unit was implemented as an additional safety feature and deterrent for students while teachers provide instruction. Currently, the SRO Program consists of the SRO Manager/School Liaison, five officers and a K9 unit.
- Officer King Wylie Primary
- Detective Dooley Northside Intermediate School
- Officer Hinton Northside Intermediate School
- K9 Case Henderson High School
School Resource Liaison/Manager
Physical and Mailing Address:
800 Lake Forest Pkwy
Henderson, TX 75652