The Henderson Fire Department was first organized in 1914. From 1914 to 1924, the Fire Department had only a bucket brigade for fire protection. The first paid firefighters began in 1916. Today the Henderson Fire Department is a combination Career and Volunteer department with 17 career firefighters and 20 volunteer firefighters. The department has state of the art equipment compared to the 1927 American LaFrance pictured to the right. Henderson currently holds an ISO Rating of Class 2. The Henderson Fire Department averages 800 calls per year consisting mainly of fire suppression, rescue, and first responder.